Staff pick up shifts by going to their shift board and clicking on the check box beside the shift they want to pick up. Sometimes there will not be a check box beside a shift. This indicates the employee is not permitted to try to pick up the shift.
Below is a list of reasons why an employee cannot pick up a shift.
1. You do not hold the role the shift is for
2. You are already working during that time frame on this or another schedule
3. You have reached the maximum hours you can work during the day or week
4. The minimum length of down time between shifts has not been met i.e. must have 8 hours not working between shifts
5. You are not allowed to work after a certain time of day i.e. 16 yr olds cannot work after 11pm at night
4. The shift will put you in an overtime position and the system preference has been set to "no overtime"
5. You do not have the credentials (or they have expired) for the role and the system preference has been set to "requires valid credentials"
6. Employee Type has restrictions that can be set for the number of hours that an employee must have off between shifts. For example, if I worked until 1am and I try to pick up a shift that starts at 6am the next morning but the restriction "how many hours between shifts" was set to 8 hr minimum then I would not be able to pick up the 6am shift.
7. Employee Type has restriction for the maximum hours an employee can work in one day. For example, if max hrs is set to 10 hrs/day and I have an 8 hour shift and I try to pick up another 5 hour shift I wouldn't be able to because I have exceeded the maximum hours.
8. Employee Type has a restriction for the maximum hours an employee can work in a 24 hour period. The distinction between this and number 7 is it ignores days and counts hours. For example, max hrs/24 hr period is set to 12 hrs if I worked from 12pm to 12am (12 hrs) and had a 6 hour break and I tried to pick up another 6 hr shift I would have worked 18 hours in a 24 hour period even though it goes over a 2 day time span.
9. Employee Type has a late night work restriction - if my age is less than minimum age to work late I can't work past the time my manager has set in this restriction and I wouldn't be able to pick up a shift past this time i.e. a shift that goes past 10pm and I'm less than 16 years old I wouldn't be able to pick up this shift.